Monday, November 22, 2010

grandparents' board

i made this magnet board for my parents a couple years ago. i didn't take a before picture because i didn't think about this blog until after i had taken off all the old vinyl. my bad.

anyway, it said the same thing but in a different font, but with things changing and names that needed to be added, i figured i might as well start over. what the heck.

so this is what it looked like after i took off the old vinyl.
just a plain magnet board from Robert's Craft, painted, scuffed and stained.
i cut the vinyl using my cricut expression machine with the "stamped" cartridge.
next i used painters tape as a guide for straight lettering rather than using a pencil and made a mark where the center was.

next, i counted all of the letters (including spaces) in the wording and found the middle letter/space. in this case, an "i."
carefully peel up the letter and place over the center marking.
work outward on either side one letter at a time like the picture below.

okay, maybe not a good example.
but you get the idea, right?

i took out some tape where longer letters go.

eventually you get it all on!
and then realize you didn't take into account that you made "Grammy & Grampa" in bigger letters.
dang.
we'll fix that later.

i taped down the sides where each child+spouse will go and across the bottom where the grandbabies' names will go.

again, measured halfway, made a mark.
found the middle of the lettering, started with the center, working outwards till you get it all on there.
yeah, remember when you messed up the centered-ness of the title? cut yourself some hearts and slap those babies on to absorb some of the extra space up there. yep, just like that. any way you please.

we had a family dog that was like a family member to us so i added her to our family board as well.
sleep well, Tipper girl. we love and miss you!

that's it! it's pretty simple and totally customizable.
the grandkids in our family call my mom "Grammy" and my dad "Grampa" or so it sounds so i used that rather than the traditional Grandma and Grandpa but you could use anything!

4 comments:

  1. I love it! Wouldn't it be funny if we changed the Drake's name? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie, will you teach me how to do this? I want to do this for my parents, but instead of a magnet board, do it on a picture frame. My parent's have 21 grandkids so the name thing wouldn't work, but I want the saying on it. :P I'm going to find you when I buy the frame and bribe you to help. Just a warning. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! I SO do not have the patience. :)

    ReplyDelete